Friday Fun Facts: Hirshfield's
My favorite room in my house is my son Adam’s bedroom. We painted it the perfect shade of yellow before we knew if we were having a boy or girl. Five years later, we haven’t painted over it because we still love the color. You know how some shades of yellow are too sickly, and some are too sunny? This shade is a soft, warm, golden color that just makes us feel happy.
It’s crazy that something as simple as a paint color can completely transform the way a room feels, and the way you feel in that room.
No one understands that better than the paint experts at Hirshfield’s—around since 1894, when Grover Cleveland was president, women wore corsets under their A-line skirts, and the first commercially manufactured gas-engine automobile was invented.
Here are some other fun facts about this local, family-owned company:
- Frank and Elizabeth Hirshfield opened the first Hirshfield’s on the corner of Washington and Broadway in Minneapolis with a $100 loan. They lived in the back of the store.
- In 1916, they moved the store to 8th Street, next to Dayton’s Department Store, and started marketing the sale of paints and wallpaper.
- In 1924, Frank shifted the focus from contracting to the wholesale and retail side of the business.
- In the early 1930s, Hirshfield’s opened a showroom on East Lake Street (still a store today!).
- In the 1960s-80s, to meet the growing demand for commercial wallcoverings, the Hirshfield's Commercial Wallcoverings Division was created to market the company's products to architects, building owners, property managers, and commercial space interior designers. Today, this division covers 13 states, with sales offices in Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Des Moines, and the Twin Cities.
- In 1982, Hirshfield's embarked on a new venture—manufacturing its own line of paints and coatings.
- In 1984, the Hirshfield-Warner Showroom was one of the original tenants at International Market Square.
Today, the company operates full-service decorating centers in Minnesota with an impressive selection of paints, wallcoverings, fabrics, and window fashions. Hirshfield's Design Studio represents an invaluable resource for Twin Cities interior designers and specifiers for the latest fashions in fabrics, wallcoverings, carpet, and custom area rugs, as well as custom furniture and lighting. I love that this quality company has been an integral part of our community for over 100 years, always looking for ways to grow and evolve and stay on top of current trends. They know this industry and it shows.
To find a Hirshfield’s near you, visit hirshfields.com.
Posted on Friday, September 28, 2012 in Permalink